- The new generation of Bing and Edge aims to redefine web interactions by leveraging advanced AI technology, offering features such as visual search, enhanced productivity, and platform capabilities for developers.
- Microsoft’s commitment to responsible AI development is marked by collaborations with OpenAI, focusing on transparency and real-world feedback to continually improve user experience and productivity.
- The integration of third-party plugins into Bing chat aims to create a more interactive platform, providing developers with new opportunities to create useful tools for users
Microsoft has recently announced some thrilling developments for their flagship browser and search engine, Bing and Edge. Their intention is to redefine the term “Your Copilot for the Web,” where Bing and Edge are integral components of this ambitious venture.
Exceptional Growth and Acceptance of Bing
In the last 90 days, Bing and Edge have experienced phenomenal growth in their user base. The AI-enabled Bing, integrated into the Windows taskbar, is currently serving over half a billion customers monthly. This impressive expansion is primarily due to the successful fusion of artificial intelligence and conventional browsing and search tools, resulting in a substantial enhancement of user experience and productivity.
The New Generation of AI-Infused Bing and Edge
Microsoft’s strategy for the upcoming era of Bing and Edge is both bold and transformational. The company is concentrating on four significant areas:
- Broadening Bing’s user base: Bing is transitioning from a Limited Preview to an Open Preview, eliminating the trial waitlist. This change will allow a wider audience to experience the updated Bing and Edge simply by logging into Bing with their Microsoft Account.
- Refining visual search: Bing is transitioning from a text-only search & chat to a more vibrant, image-focused interface featuring rich image/video answers. Microsoft has plans to roll out multimodal support soon. Bing will also present more visually appealing answers such as charts and graphs, making search results more accessible and user-friendly.
- Boosting productivity: Bing is transitioning from one-time chat/search sessions to multi-session productivity experiences with chat history and continuous chats within Edge. This feature enables users to resume previous chats, enhancing search productivity.
- Unveiling platform functionalities: Developers and third parties can now build on Bing to assist users in responding to queries and completing tasks. This capability transforms Bing into a more interactive platform that transcends basic search functions.
The Revamped Microsoft Edge
Microsoft Edge, the source of one in four Bing chats, is also undergoing a facelift. Edge, being the pioneer in AI use and the only browser with built-in Bing, is getting a sleeker design featuring a streamlined appearance, rounded corners, neatly arranged containers, and semi-transparent visual elements, all aimed at enhancing user experience. Moreover, Microsoft is working on incorporating visual search in chat, letting users upload images and search the web for related content.
Enhancing Productivity in Search
Two highly sought-after features—access to chat history and the ability to share and export—are being introduced. Soon, users will be able to revisit previous chats in Bing chat with chat history. When users wish to delve deeper into a topic and open a Bing chat result, the chat will move to the Edge sidebar, allowing them to keep the chat accessible while browsing.
Additionally, Microsoft Edge will offer improved summarization abilities for lengthy documents, simplifying the process of consuming dense online content. Microsoft is also unveiling Edge actions that will utilize AI to complete tasks with fewer steps.
Bing: A Developers’ Platform
The AI-enhanced Bing is not only a tool for users but also a platform for developers. Microsoft plans to incorporate third-party plugins into the Bing chat experience, enabling developers to create more interactive and handy tools for users. For example, if a user is researching a restaurant for dinner in Bing chat, it could utilize OpenTable to assist in finding and reserving a table. This integration of third-party services into Bing chat is anticipated to redefine search and offer developers novel opportunities in search.
Committed to Responsible AI Development
In line with Microsoft’s commitment to responsible AI development, the company is adopting a cautious and considered approach. The company is partnering with OpenAI to institute safeguards against harmful content, based on real-world
testing and feedback. Microsoft’s AI principles guide the addressing of issues such as misinformation and disinformation, content blocking, data safety, and the discouragement of harmful or discriminatory content.
The company also prioritizes transparency, seeking real-world testing and feedback to refine and expand the new Bing and Edge. Microsoft aims to learn from its users, making weekly modifications to the preview by incorporating the most requested features and updates, and adding new experiences along the way.
Microsoft’s new surge in AI innovation, featuring Bing and Edge, is set to bring about a paradigm shift in how we search and interact with the web. By emphasizing user experience, productivity, and responsible AI development, Microsoft aims to reshape the concept of a “copilot for the web.” As these updates start rolling out, users are likely to appreciate the more intuitive, interactive, and personalized browsing experience